Thursday, July 8, 2010

day 3 of 30 days of truth

Day 03 →? Something you have to forgive yourself for.

I constantly am beating myself up over things... It's as if I think I should've known the future and anticipated it, but I didn't so my mess up is unforgiveable. Like, I totally should have seen the my niece was going to spill that drink and ugh, why didn't I think ahead and bring an extra??? Then there's also the unwillingness to let stupid mistakes go..... ok I messed up and forgot to remind my boss about such and such phone call. It's a silly mistake, I should be able to let it go and move on, not beat myself up about how much of a mess up I can be. There's also my favorite....yea that whole Katrina thing....somehow that's totally my fault. Don't ask how or why, because I won't be able to answer that, but somehow my suckiness has lead to a national disaster. (Ok, the last is a bit of an extreme.....ha!)
The point is, I blame myself for a lot. And I also don't tend to go easy on myself, so when I mess up I drive myself crazy over it for way too long. It's kinda sad.
So something I have to forgive myself for is all those stupid mistakes that in the end don't matter. Life happens, we all screw up and it's not the end of the world.

7 comments:

Ella said...

I agree 100%.
Forgiveness is super important and unbelievably difficult some days, especially for yourself.

I had a hard time picking what my forgiveness would be for myself today.

Matt said...

Hmmm. I'm trying to think of what I will write about today. I know one thing for sure...it's way easier to forgive others than to forgive myself sometimes.

Karisse said...

Hey lovely! I gave you the sunshine award! http://karissejoy.blogspot.com/2010/07/sunshine-award.html

Courtney said...

All you can do it laugh at yourself! No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. I think that since you know your hard on yourself you can overcome it (with, you know lots of patience!) I may not be that extrememe but I can be the same way too.

Tracey said...

shit happens and then you die. Forgive and enjoy your life. It whizzes by. x

Glass*Plant said...

I am so hard on myself. I guess I am not the only one unfortunately. My yoga teacher always has the greatest quotes and stories... here's one that resonated with me...and maybe you too :)

"Reprogram yourself every minute of each day with thoughts that make you grow." - Paul Coehlo

Anna said...

I do that too. I play the "what if" game in my head constantly. And I have started crying when someone has said something negative to me, because I feel like I should have been able to prevent it in the first place.