Friday, May 11, 2012

52 lists in 52 weeks// 49 (birthday edition)

List 49: 5 things i know at 25.
I got the idea from this awesome blog, and I knew as soon as I read it that I had to partake. 

1. Not everyone is going to like you....and that's okay.
This is actually something I still try to tell myself and still try to get into my thick head. But it's true. Even in the Bible, God warns us that not everyone will like us. You can't make everyone happy and you can't force people to like you. But as long as you like you and you can make yourself happy, that's all that matters. That's the big picture. (And that's what I keep reminding myself!)


2. Letting go is extremely difficult, but well worth it.
Again, another issue I still deal with, but it's one of the most important. It's also one that I keep coming back to. So often I feel like I think I know best or that if I am not in control of the situation it will fall apart. (Talk about an ego, right?) The truth is, letting go and giving it all to God not only takes so much weight off your shoulders, but it also leads you in the right direction. It's incredibly hard to let go though, especially if you are a control freak like me. But hey, maybe that's what makes it so wonderful when you finally can.


3. Figure out what makes you happy and do it as often as you can.
A while back I read the Happiness Project and I learned something valuable (well a lot of things, but one pertaining to this subject). The author talks about how she remembers what made her happy when she was younger and she did it again as an adult. To test this out, I fingerpainted. It sounds silly, but it totally worked. The things that we had fun doing as kids, we can still enjoy as adults. And it can even help us feel like kids again, which is a fun and incredible feeling (especially when you feel weighed down by the adult responsibilities of life).
I feel like this also pertains to other aspects of life, like what career to pick. If you don't like what you do, it will kill you. If you love what you do, if it makes you happy a majority of the time, then you will feel happy and successful at the end of the day instead of bogged down and miserable. I'm trying really hard to make that goal a complete success. I just have to find a full time teaching job and I think I'll be set!


4.Fake it till you make it.
So many times I just haven't felt like doing something (like work, or going out, etc.) but I knew that I had to (either because I want a job or because I know whatever it was would mean the world to someone I love).  So this adopted phrase has come into play. Faking being happy or faking being energized not only makes everyone around you feel glad to have you, but a majority of the time you become what it is you are "faking".


5. Communication is everything.
Maybe this is overused and totally a duh kind of moment. But I feel like so many times when people talk about having open communication with each other they are solely referring to romantic or friend relationships. While that is a huge factor in those specific bonds, I believe that every relationship in our lives should have open lines of communication.  Whether its with your boss, co-workers, parents, kids, students, students' parents, students' teachers, friends, romantic partners, etc. And its amazing to see how great a relationship and situation can be when the lines of communication are safe and open.






What would be on your list??
-kellie

4 comments:

Kirsty.A said...

All so very true - all so very hard to do! (I'm a poet and I didn't know it!)

Unknown said...

I really like "fake it till you make it" and your description of how you apply it. I'm really going to try to apply this.

Thank you.

Amanda Rose
http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

*krystyn* said...

Woohoo - I can't believe we are only 3 weeks away from completing this project. I'm still on board, just haven't posted my lists in a while. Need to do that. :)

Unknown said...

I'm so so so far behind, I am almost gave up... but I think I need to try again to get caught up.

Love you Kel