Tuesday, August 10, 2010

family time in alabama

This past weekend was amazing. It was everything I needed and more and it was long overdue.

While I won't get into too much detail, I feel that this weekend was so wonderful that it needs to be shared; however, really personal issues will be kept under wraps. I guess I'm giving the "reader's digest version". :)
I haven't really talked to or seen my family in Alabama for about 9 or 10 years- since my dad passed away. There were family issues and for whatever reason we just went this whole time without really talking, which was such an adjustment since I saw them every year for Thanksgiving beforehand. There was a lot of hurt and pain that we all had to work through, but finally we were all able to get to a place of forgiveness. I remember the day I forgave them and myself for all that had happened....I was a freshman in college and at church when I jut realized not forgiving them was hurting me and keeping me from being close to those love so much. Of course it wasn't easy for any of us (obviously, since forgiving took place 4 years ago.....) but I think we all had things to work through first (part of the healing and forgivness process if you will). But this past weekend my sister and I finally made plans to visit. The moment I walked in the door I felt at home. It was almost as if we were just picking up where we had left off. It felt absolutely amazing to be surrounded by so many loving and wonderful people for that short amount of time. I could be 100% myself and not worry about being judged or loved less- something that I have come to miss in Jax the past few years. But I digress..... In short, reconnecting with my family was by far one of the best things I've ever done. I'm only sad that I missed out on 10 years with them, but here's to hoping the next 10 well make up for it! :)

And of course, my sis and I took pictures :)




okay- i looove this photo. my family and i have such a morbid sense of humor- so they thought this photo was jsut hysterical. no my uncle is NOT graverobbing-we planted a flower bush between my dad's grave and my memaw's grave



my wonderful family :)


and of course we had TONS of wonderful food. i think i might have gained like 20 pounds.
and it was all wonderful southern food :)
ham
cabbage
peach cobbler
egg custard
krispy kreme
fried chicken
biscuits
figs and fig preserve
fried green tomatoes

and thanks to my lovely sister and some starbucks, we got there and back all in one piece! :)


(more photos from the trip on my flickr account, fyi)!!
much love,
kel

8 comments:

♥B said...

I'm glad you were able to reconnect with family after such a difficult time! It looks like a fun trip.

xx, brittni

katie said...

wow, what's weird is I was in Alabama visiting family all weekend too. we just got back to Texas last night. :)
haha, that is a funny picture of your uncle. :)
xo,
katie

Marla Rae Morrison said...

Yay for a great trip and reconnecting! You and your sister are such cuties! : )

Jessica said...

glad you had a great time!!

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

So glad you got to spend time with your family. I have been through a very very similar situation with my extended family on my mom's side. It caused a lot of hurt, but I am glad we are connected again. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. :)

Courtney said...

I guess sometimes you need a huge break from family like that to connect more then before.
Then again I'm not sure...everyone is my family is so cloase (in location) that we see each other all the time and I LIVE for that time inbetween.
Glad that you are so happy! It looks like you and your sister had a ton of fun!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you and your sister had a great time, the food sounds yummy!!

Holly Knitlightly said...

Aw, it looks like you had such a good time! I'm glad that you and your family are now close again. :)